May 12, 2009

One Man's Trash...Another's Treasure


Sunday afternoon as I mowed and worked in the yard, I couldn't figure out why so many cars kept coming in and turning around in our culdasac. Luckily my neighbor, Shannon, clued me in that it was Clean Up Week....which might be better called Trade Your Trash Week! To save people the expense of going to the county landfill (and keeping people from letting junk pile up in their garage and yard), the city provides a pick up one week out of the year. You can put anything but appliances and yard waste on the curb and they'll pick it up and take it to the landfill for you....free of charge. HOWEVER, the city has some major competition....scavengers! Pick up in my part of the town started Tuesday morning at 8am; but by Sunday night people had already put out a lot of "goodies" and there were all sorts of people driving around and picking up new treasures to take home. I snapped this picture of my neighbor's pile this morning right before pick up...it's about half the size it was Sunday night! I decided last night to pull out my grape arbor and set it on the curb. Within 10 minutes, someone had stopped, pulled off the grape vines (that I left on because I figured the city would take them), strapped it to the roof of their mini-van, and they were off! Another neighbor put out three kid sized bikes...two were gone before he had time to walk in the house and take off his shoes!

While I've been amused for two days at the number of people inching along as they drive so they get a good look at the piles, it also brings to mind how one man's trash truly is another man's treasure.

No comments: